Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Local Indianapolis Artist: Christina Hollering

In Indianapolis, we are so blessed to have a phenomenal art scene.  I would like to share with you all a personal side of one of our local artists, Christina Hollering.  She studied at Herron School of Art, graduating in 2012.  She started out in 3D Animation and printmaking and she finished with a degree in painting.  She is very talented and brings a bright, clean, and interesting vibe to the art world.  I spoke with Christina this month and found out a little more of what she thinks of the art scene in Indy and what her day to day life is like.

 



How long have you been an artist?
 
 I’ve been an artist for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I would spend hours in my room drawing. I tried to quit and flirted with the idea of becoming a marriage counselor but the grief that came from not making was too great.
 
 
 
What/Who inspired you to be an artist?
 
Walt Disney. I use to watch documentaries about him and his films as well as read every book I could find. My dream, as a kid, was to grow up and be a Disney animator. I also remember watching the making of Jason and Argonauts and being fascinated by the claymation and stop motion animation used in the film. I was mesmerized and would spend hours in my room drawing and making my own characters.

 

Is there an artist you relate to?
 

All of them. We all know what it feels like to have the creative drive inside and the deep feeling of grief when too much time has passed between projects. I love how I can visit any museum or gallery in the world and feel as if I’m among friends.

 

Where do you do work?
 

 I share a studio at the Harrison Center for the Arts in downtown Indianapolis. I also have home studio where I produce most of my work since I have two children and have to do most of my work when they are in bed.
 
 
 
What inspires your work?
 
My work is inspired by science fiction and how it is derived from the nature. Many of my ideas come to me during my daily adventures with my kids in the backyard, at the park, at museums or even just watching movies with them. It is inspiring to see the world fresh through their eyes. Kids are always so passionate and inquisitive about things.

 

Do you work from life or from photographs/imagination?
 

 I generally will pick a subject matter and either find a specimen to look at or look up photos online. The compositions, however, come from my imagination.

 


 
 
What do you enjoy about the techniques you use?
 

 The paper cuts and linocuts are similar in that once my image has been planned out and the problem solving is done, my hands are free to carry out the work and I can get into a good flow of just doing. The cutting process is also strangely therapeutic.

 

What is more important on your work: content or technique?
 

 Both.  Although the intricacy of the paper cutting technique seems to dominate the visual dialogue.

 

What would be the most inspiring location in Indy for you?
 

Eagle Creek, the Zoo and the IMA. There is always something different that speaks to me no matter how many times I go.
 
How do you feel about the art scene in Indy? 
 
The Indy art scene is a very open and welcoming community. It's really easy to connect and to find places to show. Not to mention it is constantly growing.
 
 

 

Where are you present on social media?
 


 

Christina's studio is at the Harrison Center and is open every First Friday. It is where most of her art is on display. She will also have some work up for the show Paper Route at the Harrison Center. https://www.facebook.com/events/1866902970202383/  and will also be at Rocky Ripple Festival on September 26th.   You can also see her art on display at The Indianapolis Zoo.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment