Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Local Indianapolis Artist: Danielle Scott

Indianapolis is full of wonderful, talented artists.  And one of them just happens to be my Aunt!  Danielle Scott is a self-taught, popular artist here in Indianapolis and is well versed in the local art scene.  She has had exhibitions at Oranje, IDADA First Fridays on Mass Ave, and The Art Bank.  Danielle has been involved with the Hendricks County Art Council, Indianapolis Downtown Artist & Dealers Association, and the Indianapolis Art Center.  I talked with Danielle and also found she has a new way to get her beautiful art out into the World and into your home.
 

 

 
Where did you attend school?
 
I earned my Master’s Degree in Business Administration from Anderson University. My undergraduate studies are in Business with an emphasis in Marketing.
 

What type of art do you specialize in?

Though the medium may change, I am most happy when creating art that includes trees or flowers or abstract elements that are inspired from nature.

 
What mediums do you use?

My primary medium is pen and ink. I also work in watercolor and mixed media as well as photography.

 
 
How do you feel your art contributes to the world?
Like many of the artists I know, I create work that is very personal and a way to communicate a particular message or vision, rather than just for the sake of decoration. Although my work may not be widely known, I’ve been on the receiving end of happy tears and overwhelming emotions from patrons of my art, and that I consider that a significant contribution—making a positive impact, one person at a time.
 

 
What inspires you?
 
I thrive on bringing creativity to every corner of my life, including my professional and volunteer activities. Depending on my mood and inspiration, this can be through drawing, painting, photography, graphic design or writing. My art is primarily influenced by elements of nature; however, I am internally driven and often go deep within my own head (or what some people may say zone out) for inspiration. My goals are to always maintain my unique style, not be too influenced by realism, and to capture emotion and meaning for those who see my work.
 
 
 
 
Where can your art be seen?

I can be found creating art in my personal art studio in Coatesville, Indiana or traveling the world trying to capture the perfect photograph. In the past, I have displayed my work in a gallery and done a variety of exhibitions, but presently, my art is solely online. The different sites where you can view and buy my art are:

Find Me Here at Redbubble
 
Find Me Here at Fine Art America
 
Find Me Here on Facebook
 
 

On the website, what are some choices for buyers?

Redbubble (RB) and Fine Art America (FAA) are very similar online sites where I have uploaded very high resolution scans of my artwork. I have authorized the sale of my art for a variety of products, depending on the size and shape of my art and how well it works on each product. Nearly all of my art is available as art prints, canvas prints, greeting cards, posters and similar 2d items. If the drawing or photograph makes sense and looks appropriate for other products, I have made it available there as well. Some of those items include duvet covers, pillows, t-shirts, skirts, leggings, scarves, notebooks, tote bags, stickers, calendars, hoodies, and more.
 
One big difference between RB and FAA, is on FAA, is that FAA tells you more details about the original artworks and whether or not they are for sale. If you have an interest in buying original artwork, FAA is the site to check out.
 
Finally, if you have questions about originals for sale or would like to request custom made originals and prints, you can always contact me through my artist page on Facebook or email art_by_danielle@yahoo.com

  

What made you take this avenue in selling?
 
Originally, having an online presence for my art was chosen to supplement my other marketing efforts, such as being in a gallery. I have had a lot of changes in my personal and family life in the past few years. Ultimately, I have moved away from where I had my gallery and job. My plan is to begin working full-time with my art. For now, family obligations have meant keeping my art at less than full-time. The great thing about having it online, however, is that I am able to work as much as I can, at my own pace and schedule.

 
 
How do you feel it sets you apart from other artists?

Setting yourself apart from other artists requires knowing and maintaining your unique strengths. First, I have been consistent with my online presence for many years. People who have come across my art in the past can find my art in the same place in the future. Next, and I am far from being perfect at this being part-time, I use similar language, taglines and text in each place where I sell and promote. You must have a recognizable brand if you want to stand out. Finally, my style is memorable and associated with me, but each piece is not so consistent it is repetitive and boring. You have to be recognizable.  As Tom Peters puts it: “In today’s wild wired world, you’re distinct…or extinct.”

 

What are your thoughts on the art scene in Indy?

Being born and raised in Indianapolis, I can truly say the Indy art scene has grown by leaps and bounds over the past couple of decades. Little by little, the art scene has changed from being just the Indianapolis Museum of Art and a few pockets of galleries to several art museums and communities in and around the city, all garnering to be known for their own arts districts. You can find all types of art, in any medium, at any price point on any side of town, as well as online.
 
While I doubt the Indy art scene will ever be in the league of New York, Chicago or LA, Indy is holding its own as far as the creation and exhibition of art for its size. However, where I see the art scene lacking is in the education and outreach of youth, and in public forums. To take things to the next level, the average citizen needs a better understanding of the importance of art and culture. Now that we have people attending events, like open houses, art fairs, First Fridays or other exhibit, more Hoosiers need to expand their thinking to buying original art instead of mass produced art you can get from any department store. Some people may be afraid to get too creative with the art in their homes, but I think most people are afraid to buy original art because of price. However, one of the best reasons to buy original art in Indianapolis versus the bigger cities is because of the wide range of price points, which are often not nearly as high as people might think.

 
Where else can we find you on social media?
 
Follow Me on Twitter

Instagram
 
Art by Danielle on Pinterest
 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment