Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Local Artisan: Mary Avelis

Mary Avelis is an extraordinary local crafter.  Her niche is sewing and as a customer, I can say, she does it well.  A creative of beautiful pieces such as eye masks, totes, accessory bags, wristlets and pillows, Mary is the owner of Li'l Fox Designs.  I talked to Mary about what it is like to be an Etsy shop owner and why she loves sewing. 
 
Mary grew up in Galveston, Indiana, a small town in North Central Indiana.  A newly wed, she is recently also a new homeowner.  What time she is not spending on her craft and business, her husband and her are remodeling their home.  She also trains as a boxer.  She has a step-daughter, Lauren, who has also grown to love crafting.  And Mary teaches her the ends and outs of owning a small business.


 
How long have you been sewing?
 
Let me get the calculator! 18 years!!  Doesn’t seem like that long, but I fell like it has been longer.
 
 
Who taught you to sew?
 
I learned to sew while I was taking Home Economics in High School. Mrs. Chambers, was a great teacher, that explained everything so easily! She not only loved what she did, but was very talented as well. My mother and both grandmothers were around to help with any questions, I might have had after High School. My mother was always sewing. She made Easter dresses for my younger sister and I, as well as herself. My grandmothers were always mailing clothes for my sister and I along with matching dresses for out Cabbage Patch Dolls.
 
 
Why do you enjoy sewing as your craft?
 
It is a stress reliever for me!  I can take out my frustrations on a piece of scrap fabric, either with the seam rippers, scissors, or with my rotary cutter. Its my alternative to shooting a gun or taking things out in the boxing ring, which I still do.
 
 
How do you stay with the trends?
 
I struggle with trends and what is in the NOW. I follow a few other businesses on Instagram, and read a few blogs of Fashionistas.  I love to visit Pantone.com and Polyvore.
 

 
What do you use for inspiration?
 
Who doesn’t use Pinterest?  Some of my inspiration really comes from custom orders. They are one of my favorite things to do.  I change things up and make it my own.  Then it inspires new additions to what I create.
 
 
What are some things you do to keep your shop thriving?
I like to create things that help others, to accessorize life.  Really it is all about trial and error.  I have had a few things, that have flopped horribly.
 
 
It is a busy life as a small business owner.  What are some tips you have to balance home life and work life?
 
I am still trying to balance everything. I still work full time, other than my sewing business. I have recently bought a house (built in 1900, needs some love and care). Got married in December to my best friend, that I have worked with for 9 years. We plan to start a family this winter.
I do get a little frazzled, but work well with the chaos. Throw in some yoga, some leisure sewing, and a long hot bath. Let the balancing commence!
 
 
Where would you like to see your business in 5 years?
 
Here and there, over there and over there. Who’s to say where I will be. Everyone wants to be successful, and make a million dollars.  I want to have a business that can sustain itself, and let me be free to keep creating what I love and share it with others.  Purses for women on the go, accessories and supplies for other artisans and crafters.
 
 
What made you decide to open your own business?
 
It started with making small alterations to their apparel and accessories. I started making purses and handbags for myself. Friends and coworkers noticed them, and wanted one of their own too. I loved making things for others.
 

 
What advice can you give to those just starting their own business?
 
It is not an over night thing. It takes work and time. Believe in yourself and what you do.
 
 
Where can we find you on social media?
 
On Twitter @lilfoxdesigns
On Etsy @ Lil Fox Designs
 
And I plan to have my own website set up in 2016.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment